The pursuit for garage flooring started back in mid-2014. I really wanted polished concrete floors in my garage. The issue with that option is that it doesn't remove stains completely and is susceptible to more stains in the future. I decided to do a metal look epoxy system topped with urethane and an anti-skid. I hated them. They turned brown, were slippery, scratched easily, and generally looked like crap. I've yet to see an epoxy floor that is acceptable to me. But remember, I'm obsessed. After that really expensive disaster, I set out to find a suitable cover-up.
I wanted to do Porcelain tile, but there is no way thin-set is going to stick to urethane. To remove it requires diamond grinding, tons of cash, and a giant mess. A really high-quality porcelain tile is harder than concrete but wasn't an option for me.
I played volleyball in college on many plastic floors. I hate plastic floors. They click and clack and feel cheap. I didn't want anything to do with that. I thought about getting rubber mats like my gym and eventually stumbled on a video of Tanner Faust's garage and these recycled rubber tiles called Swisstrax Rubbertrax. I thought that could solve the plastic feel, so I got on the phone on Black Friday in 2014 to Swisstrax.
This super nice girl named Sarah picked up the phone and started schooling me on why rubber doesn't work on rubber tires. I was distraught that my only solution to fix this mess wasn't going to work. She proceeded to explain why I needed regular plastic Ribtrax.
After the phone call, I knew that this was the flooring solution I was looking for.
- Sized 15.75″ x 15.75″, Thickness 0.64″, Weight 2.6 lb, Perforation 0.13″, Materials: Polypropylene copolymer & vinyl inlay.
- Industrial strength, Ribtrax is resistant to oil, gas, acid or solvents including Skydrol and Alkalis.
- Through Swisstrax, garage floor tiles have a Limited Lifetime warranty, non-prorated, no restocking fees, and no hassles.
- Ultra-thick for extra protection, able to withstand up to 70,000 lbs of rollover weight, and compressive strength of 3120 psi.
- Commercial grade, with temperature tolerances of -22°F to +248°F and a fire rating of HB (Horizontal Burn).
- UV stabilizers mixed into the material as well as the color pigments, making them highly fade-resistant and non-slip.
FAQ & Support
These tiles ship direct from Swisstrax, not from our facility. Swisstrax is based out of California but they have a few warehouses across the country. You're looking at one to two weeks for your tiles to ship and arrive at your location. But if you order a lot (500+) it may take a little while longer, so just be patient. With that said, shipping is free to the Continental US for all tiles and edges.
If you decide to return your unused Swisstrax tiles 30 days past receipt, you will incur a 25% restocking fee with them. If you return within 30 days, you will not have to pay a restocking fee.
Please note: Swisstrax is only available in the US. They do not ship these internationally.
For help on deciding your color, layout, and how many tiles you need, please refer to this article: How-To: Using the Swisstrax Designer (2D). The Swisstrax Floor Designer can be found here.
What about floor jacks and jack stands?
The tiles are rated up to 70,000 lbs, so a floor jack is no issue. If you have sharp jack stands, you'll want to put a piece of wood underneath, but it's not an issue if you use ones that spread the pressure evenly.
Can I install this myself?
You simply cut using a table, miter, or circular saw. It took me about 4 hours to do my 600 sq. ft. garage.
- Installing Swisstrax In My Dad's Garage
- The LZ Garage Project: Complete Swisstrax Ribtrax Flooring Install
- Installing Swisstrax In The VinWiki Garage with ED Bolian
- Installing Another Swisstrax Floor in Slate Grey | Arctic White
- Swisstrax Dirt & Debris Management
- How-To: Using the Swisstrax Designer (2D)
- Swisstrax Water & Liquid Management
- How To: Getting started designing Swisstrax Flooring for your garage
- How To Buy: SwissTrax Edge Pieces
- Swisstrax Structural Strength & Resistance
- How To: Swisstrax Metal Clips for Odd Garage Door Offset
- Why is Swisstrax Ribtrax the best choice? What about Diamondtrax or another solid tile?
- How do I keep my Swisstrax tiles from pulling up at the front of my garage? Or the middle?
- How To Buy: Compressor, Lighting, Pressure Washer, Cabinets, Packages, Flooring - A Basic Introduction
This item is dropshipped from Swisstrax in Georgia. Shipping is free.