For quite some time, I've had this dream of having a really stout compressor with hose reels mounted on all 4 corners of the car. The problem...I needed to find a suitable reel. At the 2017 SEMA show I was on a mission to find it. I was literally speed walking the sister show to SEMA called AAPEX. It was there that I found it. Cox had a rather small booth with a few reels mounted on a cabinet. They had the traditional Cox solution called P-LP-350. The reel was great. I'd found it! ...Or so I thought. I was also given their roughly 100 page catalog. So I did what I normally do and started digging into it. They made what is called an EZ Coil version of the reel that has a much slower retraction than the traditional reel.
I bought a half dozen reels to test out, including the EZ Coil version. After my initial use, I eventually figured out that I'd really like for the speed and feel of the coiling up of the hose to be a bit more robust. I have worked with Cox to create a custom reel that has a different spring than what comes in the normal model (EZ P-LP-350). The model included here is a much different version that you won't find online or at other dealers. I order this version with a custom spring and without a hose.
Now going forward the Cox air hose reel will come with a stainless steel swivel for the air hose connection. As of now, only the black & gray reels have the new stainless swivel since we have old stock of the blue reels (You can see this in the price difference between reels).
I didn't like the standard hose that came preloaded on a Cox reel, so I needed to find something better. In 2016, I had discovered Prevost couplers and piping and was also considering their hose solutions.
At that time, I didn't have a relationship with them, so the main problem was they were really hard to find. I couldn't find a single source online. I finally found a source and ordered all 3 versions: Stoflex (Green), Airca (Red), and Surflex (Blue). I wasn't interested in a cheap poly hose.
Everything I had been told about the green Stoflex hose was that it is amazing but completely unnecessary. I know many of you are like me. As soon as I heard that, I smiled a bit and knew that would probably be the one. It is designed for critical environments like a paint booth, but I like the hose material and pliability of it. The other option I have is the rubber "Airca" hose that is still very nice. It's the red version.
The hoses are also custom made. These have a 3/8" inlet and 1/4" outlet to allow them to mate with the hose reel and accept standard sized 1/4" couplers.
Then we have the coupler. There is no other way to put this, the Prevost Swiveling Coupler I'm including in the package is quite simply the finest in the world. It's $97, but I think it's worth every penny. The coupler has 1/4" NPT threaded inlet and is Euro High-Flow standard outlet sizing. You will need to get Euro-High Flow plugs for your tools.
- 50' Custom Cox Reel without Hose Installed.
- Spring to protect the hose on transition from reel to the swivel.
- 3/8" NPT Swiveling Inlet (Black & Gray come with a stainless steel swivel, blue will come with stainless steel swivel coming soon).
- Anti-vibration Clamp to hold hose in place.
- 50' Prevost Custom Made Stoflex hose: 3/8" NPTM Inlet and 1/4" NPTM Outlet.
- Option to swap to less costly 50' Prevost Custom Made rubber Airca red hose (saves $65)
- 3/8" Rubber Hose Stay: Allows you to set the length of the hose hanging off the reel.
- Prevost S1 Euro-High Flow Aluminum Body Swiveling Coupler: this is completely fluid and swivels in all directions. Includes a boot that covers the termination. This will screw directly onto the 1/4" outlet of the hose.
- Overall Dimensions: W - 6.75" | L - 17.13" | H - 18.63"
- Base Size: X - 6" | Y - 6"
- Mounting Pattern: M - 4" | N - 5"
- Total Weight is about 43 lbs
These are sent unassembled. You will want to tape and torque the hose connections.