The Temporary Garage makeover is getting there. My Saber cabinets arrived safe and sound from Reno, NV in a little over a week. I wasn’t home to take delivery. I talked the delivery guy through the directions and told him not to scratch my GT3. He thought it was funny. My wife said he didn’t know what to make of my garage.
Four pallets of fun to unpack! I love unboxing stuff.
Four Drawer Lower
Six Drawer Lower
90″ Stainless Steel Counter Top
They are packaged very well. It’s going to be months before I get all of this Styrofoam out of the garage.
The pile ended up being even bigger than this. My son and the neighbor girls have been raiding the trash pile to make a tree fort.
Lining them up
When I build, he likes to build.
The wide side cabinets need to be assembled. It was very self explanatory. The directions are well written. The only thing I did wrong on the first cabinet is mix up the top and bottom. I figured it out and fixed it on the second one. I should probably read the instructions.
The only thing you have to assemble on the drawer cabinets are the handles. It’s four simple screws.
I emptied the cabinets and took them down.
These are Geneva cabinets that I got from Griot’s several years ago. They were $199 each versus $175 for the Saber and are not even close to the quality.
I used the pallet to set my counter height. With the pallet and counter top, I’m at exactly 37″.
I realized it was smarter to have a flat surface to allow the pallet the slide from underneath the cabinets after securing them to the wall. I put four Tap-Cons into each, then pulled the pallet out. Luckily this was a well made pallet and was perfectly level. Before I mounted them to the wall I bolted the three units together with the supplied bolts and nuts. The four corners have pre-drilled holes. They line up squarely on their own without any issues.
I bought 5/16 hex head Tap-Cons. I can never get the 5/16 ones to grab properly. I switched to my trusty 1/4″ Phillips head and just used more of them. The wall is coming down before my cabinets do!
I almost bought a new lighter weight Milwaukee set from HD, but they were out of stock. My trusted old Dewalt does well at hammer drilling but weighs a ton trying to drive screws into the wall. Oh well, it got the job done.
Test fitting the counter top
Patched and painted the wall.
Mounted the first wide cabinet
I think the selves are rated for 300 lbs. I’ll bolt them in once I figure out where I want them.
I mounted the other half, bolting them all together and then securing to the wall using the same pallet. Stupidly, I put the drawers back in the other side forgetting I still needed to mount the counter top.
Comments will be approved before showing up.